Black Smoke Fresno City Station 4 Short Sleeve Tee
Two Color Printing
60% combed ringspun cotton/40% polyester jersey
Black Smoke Original Design
Engine House Number 4 was established in 1904 in the City of Fresno Ca in the area of U. St and Kern. (Now the on ramp to Hwy 41) Currently Station 4 is located near the main streets of First and Tulare.
THE HISTORY AND MEANING OF THE TROLLEY CAR - In 1889 the Fresno Street Railroad began operating horse drawn streetcars along H Street, Mariposa Street, K Street and Tulare Street. Prior to the turn of the 20th Century two additional streetcar companies would begin operating in Fresno. The Fresno City, Belmont, and Yosemite Railroad began building line extensions northward whereas the Fresno Railroad built a line extension to the south City Limit in addition to the County Fairgrounds east of downtown on Ventura Avenue (currently California State Route 180). In 1901 all three streetcar companies were consolidated into the Fresno City Railway Company. In 1903 the Fresno City Railway Company was renamed to the Fresno Traction Company. Also in 1903 the San Joaquin Light and Power Company was founded with the purpose of providing electricity to the Fresno Traction Company. The Fresno Traction Company was authorized to build 196 miles of streetcar lines which would connect as far north was Wawona in Yosemite National Park, east to Trimmer Springs and south to Selma. One of the first line expansions by the Fresno Traction company was along what is now the median of Huntington Boulevard and a trolley station at First and Tulare which is currently the location of Fire Station 4. Streetcar service in Fresno continued until 1939 when there was about 42 miles of rail service line throughout the City. The Fresno Traction Company didn't dissolve but rather converted it's electric rail lines to bus service and took on the new name of Fresno City Lines.